BLOG            ABOUT ME            CONTACT

Friday, September 5, 2014

Vegan tip: Support your local co-op!


Food co-ops are awesome.  Not only do they offer affordable, natural and local foods, they are a great way to find like minded people and get involved in your community.

Today, I went to the co-op and ate a delicious vegan meatloaf with roasted summer vegetables and a side of cream of mushroom soup.  I spent $5.45 for my meal, which is about the same someone would spend on fast food.  I finished it all off with a glorious piece of chocolate cake!  It was $3.49, but I splurged!

Co-ops are also great because they often have bulk food sections where you can stock up on vegan pantry items (I talked about the importance of this yesterday).  They also usually carry vegan toiletries which can be hard to track down, specialty items, and wonderful local produce.  While staples might be cheaper elsewhere, it's always good to go to the co-op once and a while and pick up some interesting new things to try!  For me, going to the co-op is just as much about entertainment as it is just picking up items that I need.  It's always a fun trip, even to browse.

If you want to find your local vegans, look at the co-op.  Co-ops are great for bringing people together and building a sense of community.  I wish that I had more time to volunteer or serve on a board or get more involved because it is a great way to give back.  My co-op also offers classes on things like fermenting foods, composting, and nutrition!  

Seriously.  Stop gazing at that amazing piece of cake (I know it's hard), and go check out your local co-op.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment