BLOG            ABOUT ME            CONTACT

Sunday, September 14, 2014

vegan jackfruit bbq


I've been cooking vegan food for over six years, but even I'm skeptical sometimes.  So, when I heard that you could take jackfruit, a tropical fruit, and make a mock meat out of it, I wasn't convinced.

I am a fool.

This was so delicious!  I loved pulled pork when I was a kid, and I haven't had a decent bbq shredded pork sandwich in years, since going vegetarian.

This was filling, spicy, with hints of sweetness, and chewy, like good bbq should be.

 
I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce to flavor it, and it was such a great decision.  It was pretty easy to make, and I'm surprised how well it came together.  The jackfruit was the real star of the show, though.  It shredded so easily, and I was surprised at how it added to the bbq sauce, but wasn't overpowering of a flavor.  The texture is also to die for.

This is a perfect end-of-summer meal, when the bbq's and picnics are winding down, but you still want a delicious sandwich to enjoy the changing weather.









You Don't Know Jack....About Jackfruit BBQ

1 can young green jackfruit (in water)
1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
1/2 cup water or broth
1 small onion, diced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
olive oil
2 tablespoons tamari
1 teaspoon mushroom flavoring
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
sprinkle of cayenne pepper (as hot as you want it)

Preheat over to 350°.

Drain jackfruit in a strainer.  Set aside.

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet.  Add garlic and onions.  Saute until golden brown and fragrant.

In a bowl, mix together spices, add tamari and liquid smoke.  Toss jackfruit pieces in spice mixture until well coated.

Toss coated jackfruit into the skillet with the garlic and onion.  Saute for a few minutes.

Mix together barbecue sauce and water or broth.  Pour mixture over sauteed jackfruit, onions and garlic.  Let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes, covered.  Uncover and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Shred jackfruit with a fork.  Place cast iron skillet in the over until barbecue sauce is thick.  Add more, if needed.

Top with a dash of paprika, and serve on a bun.



1 comment:

  1. Yup, I definitely need to try jackfruit. I've heard good things about it, and yours looks like it turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete