BLOG            ABOUT ME            CONTACT

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Snackin' : Tuna Salad


I'm pretty terrible when it comes to adulthood.  First off, I hate packing my lunch.  I always forget the night before or put it off until the morning.  Then, in the morning, I know the exact minute that I have to wake up in order to shower and get ready and make it to the bus on time.  I have it down to an exact science...but not really.  I don't really make good decisions when I'm half asleep, and I'm really good at bargaining with myself.  I'll convince myself that it's okay to sleep an extra five minutes.  I don't really need to pack a lunch.

Every day begins with the same mad dash towards making the bus.  It's always good to have something already made that I can dump into a glass container and pack quickly.  This week, that miraculous life-saver has been mock tuna salad with crackers.

Maybe, one day, I'll get better at adulthood.  Until then, there's this delicious recipe.

Chickpea of the Sea: Mock Tuna Salad
  • 2 cans chickpeas, mashed up with a fork or mashed potato masher (honestly, this is the worst part of this recipe)
  • 1/2 cup vegan mayo (or 1/4 cup vegan mayo and 1/4 cup vegan sour cream OR 1 package silken tofu and a little olive oil)
  • 1 package seaweed snacks, crumbled up OR 2 sheets nori roll
  • 1 tablespoon Kelp
  • 2 tablespoons dill relish
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutritional yeast
  • half of an onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • sea salt + pepper to taste
Mash chickpeas, Add in everything else.  Stir up until it's delicious and well blended.  Sprinkle with some additional paprika or kelp, and eat with crackers that you grabbed an entire sleeve of because you don't have time for anything else or you'll miss your bus to work.  If you're a real adult, you could put it on toast with some crunchy romaine, but I don't have time for that Martha Stewart caliber life.



No comments:

Post a Comment