BLOG            ABOUT ME            CONTACT

Saturday, September 20, 2014

odds & ends



This week has been kind of busy, and I've been eating out a lot because last Friday was my birthday, and according to my husband, I celebrate a birthmonth instead of a birthday.  

Today was the Walk for Farm Animals for the Farm Sanctuary.  I managed to raise $141 for them!  I'm pretty proud of that.  I ended up not going though, which is a huge bummer.  My husband got called into work, and I was going to go alone, but when my alarm went off, I decided to "snooze" a bit with my puppy.  Well, I must have turned it off instead of hitting snooze, because I woke up 30 minutes before the walk was supposed to start!  Oops.  I really am bummed that I missed it, but it was nice to sleep in with Kai.

I think next week I'm going to try to make healthy foods because I've been eating so poorly!  So much vegan junk food!  I think because it's my birthdaymonth, and I want to TREAT YO' SELF, but I feel icky.  Today, we ate at Loving Hut for my official birthday date with my husband, and it was so delicious, as always.  I really overate though!  

Pittsburgh has so many vegan things that I feel pretty grateful for all of it.  I feel like the vegans in Pittsburgh are doing more to get together.  I wish I would take advantage of this, but sometimes I'm so shy and just want to hang out in my house with Kai and Dustin.



Well, let's get back to vegan snack week!  I recently bought a box of Quinn popcorn.  We recently bought a microwave, and it's the first time that I've owned one in like 6 years!  I love microwave popcorn, but a lot of it is horrible for you and not vegan.  This stuff was perfect, really light, but still flavorful.  I almost wish that it had a little bit more flavor, and I think if I would sprinkle some nooch or something on it, it might be better.  They had a few other flavored kinds, so I'll have to check those out.  It was really convenient; a lot easier than making it in a soup pop with kernels!  I definitely recommend it.


I also made this yummy buffalo chickpea dip!  It's so easy and delicious.  I always bring this to potlucks, and everyone, vegans and nonvegans alike, go crazy for it!  I like it because it's pretty cheap to make.

Buffalo Chickpea Dip
1 Package of silken tofu
2 tablepoons dill
3 tablespoons onion powder
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons chives
1/4 cup vegan mayo or 8 oz vegan cream cheese 
salt and pepper

1 can of chickpeas, lightly mashed
1 package of mock chick'n
Franks Red Hot Hot Sauce
1 handful of Daiya or vegan cheese

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a bowl, mix together silken tofu, spices, and vegan mayo or cream cheese until blended and creamy.  This will be your ranch base dip.

In a frying pan, lightly saute mock chicken.  Add in hot sauce until coated, and cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until mock chicken is crispy.  Remove from pan and chop or shred into small pieces.

In a bowl, toss chickpeas in hot sauce.  Fold chickpeas and chick'n into the ranch base dip.  Add in more hot sauce, if desired.  

Transfer dip into a cast iron skillet or baking dish.  Top with a handful of Daiya, sprinkled on top of the dip.

Cook for 15-20 minutes until dip is hot in the center and cheese is melted on top.

Enjoy with crackers or tortilla chips.





Overall, I've had a great birthday.  Last weekend, I had friends over, and my best friend ever bought me this card.  It's absolutely perfect for me because I love pigs!

I'm sad to wrap up my birthday week, but I really need to get back on track with eating better!  

No comments:

Post a Comment