BLOG            ABOUT ME            CONTACT

Monday, September 29, 2014

Imperfection Mexican Food: After Dark Special



I should get an award for this meal.  Not because it's fancy or super delicious...just because it is a meal that isn't cereal eaten over the sink.

Let's back up.  I'm a perfectionist.  It's not a good quality because sometimes it paralyzes me.  I sometimes don't do anything because I'm so overwhelmed and afraid that it won't be perfect.  Or I over plan things, and if I'm not sure they'll be perfect, I don't bother.

Besides being a perfectionist, I'm insanely lazy and unorganized, which also leads to mayhem.  (There's a point in all of this, I swear).

I almost didn't post today.  Today was one of those days that started off weird, a rip in my pantyhose at work, trouble finding a parking spot where I always park.  I knew that today was going to be one of those days, and it was.  I didn't get home until 6:30, and by the time I walked the dog, I didn't feel like making anything spectacular, and I was running out of daylight.  Kai was also being a pain, a cute pain, but still annoying.

Basically, this simple, delicious meal consists of taking a bunch of Trader Joe's products and layering them, and it's not perfect, but it works.  (Just like these pictures...which look like they were taken with flash and are absolutely awful.)

But I did it.  I posted.  When I didn't want to or didn't think that I could.  For that, I've perfected today.
.

Imperfection Mexican Food
1 cup jasmine rice, cooked
Simple ingredients (nosy dog being bad is optional)
1 can Trader Joe's Cuban Black Beans
1 cup Trader Joe's Enchilada Sacuce
1 can Trader Joe's Refried Beans
1/2 cup Trader Joe's Black Bean Dip
1 zucchini
1 onion
1 cup mushrooms

Optional:
handful of Daiya that has been hanging out in your fridge
handful of stale nacho chips 
1/2 avocado
1 packet of mild Taco Bell sauce from god knows when that was in your fridge

Preheat oven to 350°.

Take a glass, oven-safe bowl, and spread a 1 inch layer onto the bottom.  With a spatula, add another layer of black bean dip.

In a separate bowl, stir black beans into the rice.  Add in the enchilada sauce and mix well.  Scoop mixture into the original bowl to add another layer.

Fry zucchini, onion, and mushrooms in olive oil on medium heat.  Layer on top of the beans and rice.  
If you have shame, this is probably where you'll stop.  I had leftover Daiya and old nacho chips, so I added those.

I heated until the cheese was melted, but you can heat until the layers are warm.  

Scoop and serve with guacamole, avocado, vegan sour cream, or whatever you'd like on your Mexican food.


Kai was begging the entire time because he's a buttface.










Kai thinks you're perfect, just the way you are.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to make your dinner work after a tough day; it looks great! Loved the photos of Kai, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete