BLOG            ABOUT ME            CONTACT

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

End of vegan mofo: pumpkin muffins & community

 The end of vegan mofo!  The beginning of October which means fall is finally here.  To celebrate these two things, I made vegan pumpkin muffins with chocolate chips in them and crumble topping.



Another huge awesome thing that happened today was I got my order from Pioneer's Press!!! I was really excited because they have some great zines and stuff, but also they are doing great things and really struggling right now.  If you get a chance and like zines and stuff (they have a ton of vegan stuff), please support them!



Vegan MoFo kind of taught me how out of touch with the vegan community I am.  I used to have a few friends who were vegan or even vegetarian, and now, I don't.  I feel like, even though I live in Pittsburgh, I really don't do much to meet like-minded people.  There are so many great vegan meet-ups and stuff going on, but I don't really make an effort to go out, or I let anxiety get the best of me.  I honestly feel like I've lost a huge part of myself, and being part of a community or something larger than myself will help me work towards getting that back.

I'm really proud that I blogged as often as I did, and I'm excited to have one vegan mofo under my belt!

<3 I hope that you all keep reading and stay connected.

Congrats to all the people who made it to the end!

6 comments:

  1. Ooooo, those muffins look amazing! I've heard good things about Pioneer's Press; I'll have to check them out. Congrats on your first Vegan MoFo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were okay. The crumble was a bit too salty (use unsalted margarine, if you can!), and they weren't as pumpkin-y as I would have liked, but they were good for a first try baking without a recipe!

      Pioneer's Press is awesome. Check out Jessie Duke's blog. She's super amazing, and even thought I feel like a creep because she doesn't know me, she's someone that I really respect and admire.

      Delete
  2. I usually have a hard time dealing with vegan's in person. I've met a few lazy vegans (aka never read the ingredients so they were constantly eating non-vegan foods), or snobby vegans (you know the ones that will stop and tell people to stop drinking something because it has GMOs). So I find myself hesitant to try and find groups for vegan potlucks and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I've found! I hate to be a hater, because I'm pumped when anyone is into veganism, even just a little bit, but as far as making friends or forcing myself to socialize with them (I'm practically a hermit sometimes), no thanks.

      I'm trying to find people who also have similar interests with me beyond veganism.

      I don't want to sound judgemental, but I've found that the vegans I meet fall into the following catagories:

      - 35 to 50ish years old, upper middle class suburban women who found out about veganism from Dr. Oz or Oprah (which is fine) but who aren't really vegan ("I only eat vegan, I don't really care about my leather Coach bag.") Plus, the age difference is kind of hard to deal with.
      - Hippies who are vegan but are really out there and into smoking pot and crystals and stuff that is okay, but not for me
      - Super snobby vegans who only eat dumpstered, GMO free, palm oil free, beans and rice from sustainable and organic and local farms
      - Super healthy, fitness snobs who aren't really vegan (just their diet) either but eat only certified gluten-free, paleo, soy-free, corn-free, dirt in between runs and cross fit classes

      These are all exaggerated generalizations, but you get the point. I am super introverted, so socializing and leaving my house is pretty exhausting for me, so I have to be kind of picky about what's worth dealing with that.

      Delete
  3. That's a fantastic selection from Pioneers Press! You'll enjoy reading and re-reading every single one :) This was my first time at MoFo too, it was good to meet such a diverse range of vegan minds.

    ReplyDelete